Frequently Asked Questions

What happens during the orientation program?

Syracuse University's fall orientation, known as Syracuse Welcome, takes place five days prior to the start of classes in the fall.  Winter Welcome, the University's spring orientation, takes place a few days before the start of spring semester classes. Syracuse Welcome and Winter Welcome focus on social programming to help students get to know their peers and the campus as well as academic programming to become familiar with their home school or college.

How does housing work at Syracuse University?

Transfer students will have a limited number of spaces in Skyhalls I & II on South Campus.  This building offers a learning community atmosphere for transfer students allowing them to get to know each other much quicker.  The room type in the Skyhalls is open doubles.  Transfers who do not wish to live here can find off-campus housing.  The Office of Off-Campus and Commuter Services will be happy to assist in this process.  You can contact them at 315-443-5489, email them at or visit the Off-Campus and Commuter Services website at

When will I register for classes?

Depending upon your transfer credits and the time of your matriculation to SU will depend on when you will register.  Many transfer students will complete pre-registration during the summer and while others will do most of it when they arrive for Syracuse Welcome.  We recommend that you reach out to your home school or college or check out the ReadySet website for specific information.

Do transfer students need to have a car to get around?

No!  Although transfer students are allowed to have a car on campus with a valid SU parking permit, it is certainly not needed.  SU has shuttles running from main campus to south campus on a regular basis, so if you live in the Skyhalls, you can just ride the bus to class.  We also have a host of other buses run by Centro to get around the broader Syracuse community.  Some schedules run to the mall, grocery stores, and downtown area.  For more information, check out

What should I do if I am a veteran?

The Office of Veteran Success is located at 700 University Avenue can assist you with your VA educational benefits. You can visit them in Room 215.

Phone: 315-443-0358


Can transfer students study abroad?

Yes!  You will want to check with your academic advisor to see if it works with your academic curriculum, we suggest you do this early.  SU offers many different opportunities to study abroad including summer sessions, fall and spring semesters, and short-term programs.  For more information, please visit

What other support do you offer transfer students?

We offer monthly social programs for all transfer students.  These programs are hosted by the Transfer Transitions Leaders.  First-Year & Transfer Programs (FYTP) also sends monthly e-newsletters to all transfer students as well as reminders of events going on around campus.  For more information about the Transfer Transitions Leaders, click here.